Pitney Bowes is one of those companies that places employees at the center of everything it does. They believe in empowering their employees, regardless of who they are or where they come from by providing a conducive work environment, developmental tools, and a strong cultural foundation to support them in making their own career decisions in order to achieve personal and professional success.
When we asked them about the top-most reason for their success in their employee engagement journey that has led to them becoming Laureates at Great Place to Work, they pointed to their commitment to letting employees be themselves. Pitney Bowes Lets Me Be Me.
Their practices are integrated with this theme in a way that brings out the best in their employees.
I for Inclusion, I for Intersectionality
At Pitney Bowes, diversity is not a new discovery or a destination. It is the reality of who they are. Over the last century, the company has adapted and evolved to become a more inclusive workplace FOR ALL. Their understanding of Inclusivity is deeper, not just in terms of gender equality, LGBTQI, or disability inclusion, but also from the lens of ‘Intersectionality’.
- The mantra of ‘I for Inclusion, I for Intersectionality’ guides their journey towards a more inclusive workplace by fostering awareness and empathy for the diverse circumstances faced by everyone.
- Pitney Bowes actively encourages employees to share their unique intersectionality stories, referred to as ‘I-Tales,’ with their colleagues. These stories showcase personal triumphs over challenges and serve as inspiration for others. This ongoing series features heartwarming narratives from fellow colleagues.
- To eliminate unconscious biases from the hiring process, Pitney Bowes adopts a practice known as ‘Blind Applications.’ This involves filtering job applications without considering factors such as gender, caste, religion, nationality, or age. By removing this information, any inadvertent biases are mitigated. Applicants can choose to share their first or last name in the application.
- The organization has introduced the DIBE Program (Diversity, Inclusion, Belonging, Equity) to sensitize employees, managers, and leaders. This program cultivates a culture of inclusivity where employees, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, religion, or personal choices, feel respected, understood, and heard. The DIBE Program includes curated workshops and resources aimed at helping leaders, managers, and employees incorporate inclusive behaviors into their daily lives. An important aspect of this program is involving men in gender conversations, recognizing their equal role in championing diversity. This includes identifying female talent, expanding networks, providing mentorship, and sponsorship opportunities to give women a fair chance for vertical growth.
- In the pursuit of an exceptional work-life balance for expectant parents and new mothers,
Pitney Bowes has implemented a Special Parenting Leave Policy. New mothers can work from home for 26 weeks (6 months) following their 26 weeks (6 months) of paid Maternity Leave, up to one year from the date of delivery. This policy remains in effect even after returning to the office full-time. Additionally, expectant mothers are granted one month of work-from-home in their final month of pregnancy. New fathers are entitled to three weeks of work-from-home leave in addition to paternity leave. Furthermore, adopting parents, including LGBTQI+ parents, who have worked with Pitney Bowes for a minimum of 80 days, are eligible for 26 weeks (6 months) of paid leave upon legally adopting a child or becoming parents through surrogacy.
- To promote allyship and assist employees in expressing their emotions safely and effectively, the organization conducts training sessions on ‘Bystander Intervention.’ These sessions provide practical exercises and real-life examples to empower employees to intervene when witnessing discriminatory or harmful situations.
Pitney Bowes is dedicated to creating a truly inclusive workplace by embracing intersectionality, providing parental support, and nurturing a culture of empathy, respect, and equality.
Accelerate Your Great @ PB
Pitney Bowes’ primary objective is to cultivate an inclusive environment that encourages continuous learning and growth. Valuing diverse viewpoints, backgrounds, and abilities of their employees play a crucial role in success. They provide ongoing learning opportunities, fostering personal and professional development, and creating pathways for advancement. By empowering employees, they enable them to excel, thereby propelling Pitney Bowes forward and ensuring long-term success for all stakeholders. In 2023, the aim is to streamline processes like Goal Setting, Development Planning, Career Profiles, and Performance Feedback for our Career Enablers. This initiative aims to enhance the overall employee experience and simplify their journey towards success.
Aligned with this goal, the concept of “Anytime Feedback” has been launched to facilitate employee development, enhance interpersonal relationships, and aid in goal attainment. Embracing feedback plays a significant role in fostering a culture of collaboration. It is essential to actively offer and seek feedback on a regular basis, while also being receptive and open-minded towards the feedback received. By doing so, employees can continually enhance their skills and propel their personal and professional growth, enabling them to excel and reach their full potential.
Pitney Bowes stands as a shining example of a company that values its employees and creates a supportive environment where individuals can thrive and contribute to the long-term success of the organization. By embracing diversity, fostering inclusivity, and promoting personal and professional development, the organization truly lets its employees be proud to be themselves and achieve greatness.
Employees echo the idea of PB Lets Me Be Me:
An IT Manager says “PB deeply cares about maintaining a healthy balance between work and personal time for employees, offering a lot of flexibility in working hours and location.”
Another Manager from Noida location shares “PB gives its employees an opportunity to perform and grow in their roles. I joined a year back and was new to the domain – I was given all the guidance on domain and technology front to grow as an individual.”